Selfish Sunday Knitters

Don't apologize ~ KNIT FOR YOURSELF! Join us in Selfish Sunday Knitting and join this blog to share your projects, cheers, tears, tips and tricks. I'm Leah, and I'm your hostess, sitting on the couch each and every Sunday with my cuppa joe and knitting for ME!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement about using my handspun for my first selfish Sunday knitting project! Here are a couple of photos of the sky-blue glitzy alpaca (from Winding Creek Alpacas and Llamas...NAYY, but I just LOVE their rovings!!!) I'll be turning into an EZ-inspired dickie:




















Here's my skein hanging to dry. Look, Mom -- not too much twist!




















I also just got some more Winding Creek roving in the mail today, this time in a 100% alpaca blue/purple blended colorway. I figure if I run short of yarn with my skein of sky-blue, I can always spin up the blue/purple and use both to make the dickie. Although, if anyone has a good way of measuring handspun yardage that doesn't involve a niddy-noddy (which I don't own) or one of those cool balance-thingys (which I'd love to get but have been too cheap to invest in so far), please let me know. :)

I'm so excited to be using this yarn. It's easily the softest, nicest yarn I've ever spun, and I can't wait to wear it next to my skin. I'll definitely be getting up early on Sunday to get in some extra knitting time!

http://splindarella05.blogspot.com/

1 Comments:

At 8.9.06, Blogger Leah said...

Hi...your handspun looks great :) You can measure your yardage by making a skein in anyway that you can...using a chair back, maybe? Tie it off, take it off the chair, then, lay it out and measure the length, which would be half the skein since it's layed out and the loop is flattened into a line. Times that by 2. That will give you the total inches all the way around your skein. Write that part down (g) Then, pick up your skein and count the strands on ONE SIDE of your loop and multiply that by the inches you came up with. Divide by 36 and you have yardage :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home