Selfish Sunday Knitters

Don't apologize ~ KNIT FOR YOURSELF! Join us in Selfish Sunday Knitting and join this blog to share your projects, cheers, tears, tips and tricks. I'm Leah, and I'm your hostess, sitting on the couch each and every Sunday with my cuppa joe and knitting for ME!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

I havn't been able to knit yet today, but will get a few rows in before I drop off to sleep. ;) It's been a busy day.
I have been knitting this week and completed the Felted Fuzzy Slippers. This is what they looked like before felting. I laid a previously knitted sock (that fits perfectly!) on top of the slipper sock just to give you an idea how ridiculously large the slipper is before felting. I looked at that and thought there was NO WAY this was going to felt down to the size of my feet!

I've never felted anything before (I know...I've said it a hundred times!) so whilst they were in the the washer I used the timer and checked them every 3 minutes as suggested in the pattern. I'm pretty sure she meant that figuratively...but with the way things have been working for me lately......I wasn't taking any chances! So as the first 4 or 5 inspections showed no change in size of the slippers, I was pretty sure that I goofed in some spectacular way. However the next time I checked them they were suddenly smaller.....then the next time they were a more realistic size....then finally they looked done. To be honest with you...they need a bit more felting. I managed to increase the number of stitches in the slipper that's now the right foot and it's a tad looser than the left foot. Both need a bit of shrinkage...one needs more than the other. I'm terribly pleased with them though and they are toasty warm... but not too much so. ( I was worried about them being too hot. Not a problem at all.) I am going to use puffy fabric paint to put some grip on them though as they are a bit slippery on the lino.

The pattern for the Felted Clog slippers arrived on Saturday (Thanks for the offer Leah!) in the mail and now I can figure out how much yarn I need to finish spinning for Melissa's slippers. DH is undecided on which he wants so he's waiting to see the felted clog ones first. I will, of course, have to make me a pair first to test the pattern out. (insert evil laugh... mwahahahahah!)

In the mean time....I've decided I really need this sweater. Sorry for the poor quality pic...but I only had the black and white photocopy to scan in to show you. As you can see it's a zipper front hooded sweater in the most basic of stitches. I saw this completed on the lady that shared the pattern with me and it was all I could do not to take the sweater off her! This looks so comfortable! The great part is that it's mostly basic knit or purl stitches and I'm pretty confident I can actually knit it. It's the largest project in knitting I've ever taken on, so we'll see if I have the stamina or not. It may end up in the UFO pile with the others...but I kinda doubt it. See, I can't wait to wear this thing! And the yarn I picked is so very soft. I chose the Lion Brand Homespun in #302 Colonial. I know, I know, it's acrylic and polyester and it's not handspun....but still....it's beautiful, soft (unbelieveably soft) and more important....if I need to wash this baby every night so I can wear it again the next day...NOT A PROBLEM! I plan on wearing this at work and work is a very dirty place most the time so that was a huge factor in the yarn choice.

Here is the start of the new sweater. It doesn't look like much but I just started it on Thursday. This is the back piece with the ribbing completed and working my way up the back. I am adjusting to working with metal straight needles again after using bamboo circulars for the slippers. I'm thinking I'll end up on a circular on this before too long as the weight of this is going to probably be too much for me to handle. We'll see though as I may be suprised by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home